Plans for the ARCH Tenants' Conference due to be held on 16
September in Stevenage have been put on hold as a result of the
The ARCH Tenants' Group was due to meet on Monday 27 April to
begin work on the detailed programme and booking arrangements for
the 2020 Annual Tenants' Conference and although the Group has been
unable to meet in person, members of the Group have been
considering arrangements for the tenants' conference.
The Government's "exit strategy" from the current lockdown
measures is, as yet, unclear; but even if the current lockdown
measures are not extended further into May it seems likely that
some form of social distancing measures will continue until such
time as testing for the virus can be extended to the wider
population and/or vaccine can be found. There are also a
considerable number of vulnerable people with underlying health
conditions currently advised to "shield" themselves at home for at
least 12 weeks.
The Tenants' Group believes there is a strong possibility that
the Government will retain rules on social distancing and perhaps a
continued ban on large gatherings and may also advise against all
but essential long distance travel in order to mitigate against a
so called "second wave" of infections. They may also suggest that
those who are currently shielding from the virus and other
individuals who may be considered at high risk of complications
from infection due to age or underlying health conditions should
continue with self-isolation or strict social distancing until a
vaccine or treatment is developed.
Taking these factors into account, there is a significant risk
that the number of delegates to a national Tenants' Conference in
September is likely to be much lower than normal and the ARCH
Tenants' Group feels that in the circumstances the sensible option
is to postpone the date of the Conference until the Government's
"exit strategy" is known and restrictions on travel and attendance
at large gatherings are fully lifted.
It is therefore with regret that the ARCH Tenants' Group has
made a decision to put this year's Conference on indefinite hold
for the time being. A re-arranged date has not yet been agreed and
will only be considered, if and when, the Government lifts
restrictions on social distancing and large gatherings.
Watch out for further announcements in future editions of the