At a time like this, your council
needs to be an ARCH member more than ever…
Council housing is at a crossroads, it stands on the cusp of
becoming a vibrant, dynamic and growing sector for the first time
in well over a generation. To achieve this, there are a number of
challenges to be overcome, as well as opportunities to be gained,
and this requires strong, effective leadership from a
Councils with housing have won the battle for self-financing and
are making the most of the oppotunities it presents; but there's
always more to be done.
The present & future
- Performance management of councils with housing has improved
- Self-financing will place the sector on a more even financial
footing with housing associations
- Councils are at the heart of the government's localism agenda -
empowering communities and tenants, making a growing contribution
to regeneration, leveraging off strategic partnerships
- The Homes and Communities Agency is actively engaging with
councils both in their strategic housing role and as the deliverers
of new homes (more than 40 councils are in receipt of social
housing grant funding).
Councils with housing have distinctive interests, and need their
own, independent, effective voice. Only ARCH can provide this. ARCH
is the voice of the sector - we want to become more effective by
bringing all eligible councils into membership. ARCH has emerged as
an important conduit of sector views to government, and a trade
body that is restoring confidence in the sector. Can your council
afford not to be involved?
Your council (members, officers, tenants) needs to be part of
our movement. You need to influence where ARCH goes, what it says
and does, and come together with all other stock-retained councils
to continue to position the sector where it ought to be. You can't
do that from the outside.
- ARCH currently represents the views of more than 60
stock-retained councils in England, and that figure is growing as
more councils decide that now is the time to join.
- We act as a collective, non-political voice for councils with
housing, council housing officers and tenants -a voice that is
increasingly being listened to and being asked for its views by
- ARCH provides strong, effective support to members directly as
a result of our partnership with CIH and HouseMark, along with the
skills and expertise of our policy adviser Matthew Warburton.
- ARCH presents councils with housing with an opportunity to act
collectively and thus be more efficient and effective - for
example, commissioning research or consultancy support
- Free access to all ARCH policy briefings and updates, produced
by our Policy Adviser Matthew Warburton with support of CIH policy
- Free policy and good practice information via our Policy
Adviser, as well as the resources of HouseMark.
- Free access to any dedicated research commissioned by ARCH that
is purely for, and on behalf of, councils with housing.
- The opportunity to influence ARCH policy on how we respond to
the government's agenda.
- £1,000 discount from HouseMark towards your ARCH membership fee
in the first year, if you join HouseMark and ARCH in the same year,
plus a further 15% discount on HouseMark membership if you sign up
to a three year membership agreement.
- A fortnightly ARCH Bulletin.
- Free access to the member-only area of our modernised
- Free access to ARCH Exchange, enabling senior housing staff to
share knowledge and seek advice from colleagues in other member
- Annual AGM for all ARCH members featuring a discussion on a
- Invitation to the Stock Retained Councils' Chief Officer annual
- Free attendance to at least three seminars per year - topical
speakers and networking opportunities.
- Free access to the HouseMark Stock Retained Councils
performance improvement club twice a year.
- Free support for tenants via the ARCH Tenants' Group (supported
- Free attendance for your tenants (up to five per council) to
the annual ARCH Tenants' Conference
For 2017, there are two membership fee options to choose
1. £2,500 per year plus VAT membership fee
2. £2,250 per year plus VAT if you sign up for a three year
membership paid up front.
enquiries and website
Julie Morton, ARCH Administrator -
024 7647 2711
For general enquiries contact:
Matthew Warburton, Policy Adviser
- 07891 105906